You don’t have to spend money on commercial packages to enjoy quick and easy popcorn at home. Microwaving regular popcorn is almost as easy, costs less, and lets you season it just the way you like it. For a fat-free, low-sodium snack, skip the oil, butter, and salt. If you love butter, avoid artificial flavors and pour on the real thing. Feel free to experiment with herbs, spices, and other seasonings.
Things You'll Need
- Small paper bag (lunch sack or similar)
- 1/4 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
- 2 tsp. butter or oil (peanut, olive, canola,optional)
- 1/4 tsp. table salt or popcorn salt, or to taste (optional)
- Microwave-safe plate (if using oil)
- large serving bowl
- 3 tbsp. butter (optional)
- Small, microwave-safe bowl and cover (optional, for butter melting)
- Toppings to taste: Parmesan cheese, garlic salt, Emeril's Essence, jalapeno seasoning mix, or other herbs or spices (optional)
Place ¼ cup popcorn kernels in small paper bag. If desired, top popcorn with 2 tsp. butter or oil and/or ¼ teaspoon salt.
Fold top of bag down about 2 inches. Staple bag shut. Shake gently to mix popcorn, oil, and salt.
Place bag in microwave oven. If using oil, set microwave-safe plate under bag to catch any oil leaks.
Cook on high for two to three minutes, listening to pops. When pops are five seconds apart, remove bag from microwave.
Open bag, being careful not to get burned by escaping steam. Pour popped corn into serving bowl.
For butter topping, place 3 tbsp. of butter (or to taste) in a small, covered bowl. Microwave on high for 60 seconds, or until butter melts. Pour butter over popcorn.
Add other toppings as desired. Toss gently to mix.