Create a powerful cleaning compound without toxic fumes using household baking ingredient cream of tartar to get your home squeaky clean. Cream of tartar, otherwise known as potassium bitartrate, removes stubborn stains that products such as Ajax or Soft Scrub typically handle. Mix cream of tartar with a variety of other non toxic substances to clean grout to fabric stains.
Video of the Day
Regular bleach is a great way to remove stubborn stains on a variety of surfaces however, bleach can be toxic when mixed with other chemicals plus it emits noxious fumes. Cream of tartar provides a safe, gentle alternative to using household bleach and removes tough stains.
Remove mold and mildew from tile grout by combining cream of tartar with vinegar for a tough, toxin free cleaning solution. Combine one part cream of tartar with half the amount of vinegar or water until you create a paste. Rub the compound over the stain then scrub with a brush. Scrub in a circular motion. You can also use the cream of tartar and vinegar solution on chrome or stainless steel without leaving those acid stains you see when using regular bleach.
Having to scrub pots and pans with caked-on food can turn simple dishwashing into a workout. Instead of spending hours scrubbing your pans, mix cream of tartar with a few drops of hydrogen peroxide and rub over caked- or baked-on food. Another option to removing stubborn stuck-on food is to combine 2 tsp. of cream of tartar with 2 tsp. of vinegar. This non-abrasive cleaner also attacks stains and successfully cleans nearly all surfaces.
Combine 2 tsp. of cream of tartar with 1 tsp. of glycerin in a spray bottle to lift stubborn fabric stains. Spritz the solution on the stain and let stand for a few minutes before washing. Just like the commercial stain removers, check your stained item before putting it in the dryer to ensure the stain is gone. If it’s not, repeat and rinse.
Cream of tartar also beautifully cleans copper. Instead of spending money on expensive copper cleaners, combine 1 tsp. of cream of tartar with ½ tsp. of lemon juice. Rub the copper item then rinse and polish to achieve the same result as you would with the commercial copper cleaner.