Mold odor is unfortunately one of the first signs that you have a mold or mildew problem somewhere in your home. While you certainly want to remove the mold odor to prevent allergy symptoms from arising in family member, ultimately you must find the source and eliminate it to stop the odor from returning. So how do you remove mold odor and its source?
Things You'll Need
- Air Conditioner
- Trisodium phosphate
- Chlorine bleach
- Protective gloves
Close the windows, opens the curtains, turn on the air conditioner, fans, and dehumidifier. The ideal temperature for mold growth is 77°F to 88°F and while it can continue to grow at lower or slightly higher temperatures, growth is minimized.
Find the source of the mold smell, remove, and dispose of materials that are not nailed down.
Repair leaks and then replace cracked moldings, leaky windows, rotten roofing, bad caulk, or the source of moisture causing the mold.
Apply disinfectants to areas where mold and mildew are forming to stop growth.
Wash surfaces if possible where mold and mildew are growing using trisodium phosphate and chlorine bleach mixed together. Mix 8 tablespoons of trisodium phosphate and one-cup of bleach to each gallon of water.
Paint with mildew resistant paint whenever possible to help prevent new growth.