Typically, you can effectively wash and disinfect drinking glasses and other dishes in hot, soapy water. However, if your home was flooded and your dishes were contaminated — such as from raw sewage — you must disinfect your dishes before using them again. In addition, if your hot water is unavailable, you should also take an extra step to sanitize your dishes when washing them. To disinfect your drinking glasses and other dishes, use a liquid bleach such as one made by Clorox.
Things You'll Need
- Dish pan or bucket
- Liquid bleach
Video of the Day
Wash the drinking glasses as normal, using dish soap and water — preferably as hot as possible.
Rinse the dishes well so all the dish soap is removed.
Fill a dish pan or bucket with water. Add 2 tablespoons of Clorox bleach per gallon of water.
Immerse the glasses in the bleach water, and then rinse them off well to remove the bleach. This works well for everyday disinfecting when hot water is unavailable. If your glasses were contaminated in a disaster, soak the glasses for 10 minutes before rinsing them.