Mold is a fungi that grows on just about anything, including stone. Mold thrives in areas that are damp, humid and sheltered from sunlight. Mold can particularly thrive on the underneath side of stone. The best way to prevent mold from forming is to keep the stone dry. The best way to clean stone mold is to attack in in its early stages with a mixture of water and chlorine beach. Cleaning mold from stone is relatively easy because the mold only grows on the surface.
Things You'll Need
- Garden hose
- Power washer
- Bristle brush
- Chlorine bleach
- Garbage bags
Video of the Day
Cover surrounding plants or other potentially vulnerable items with a tarp.
Place a hose on its most powerful setting. Hose off as much mold as possible from the stone. A power washer can also be used, but be careful mold does not wash away into unwanted areas.
Scrape off any remaining mold with a spatula. This is particularly effective if the stones are flat. Scrub stones that are not flat with a bristled brush.
Prepare a solution of chlorine bleach and water. Mix 1 cup of bleach for each gallon of water.
Apply the solution to the stone with a sponge or brush. Scrub as hard as possible to remove the mold's roots.
Use a hose to rinse off the stone. Scrub the stone and rinse again if mold persists. Use a stronger solution with additional bleach for particularly stubborn mold.