Building a fire is easy when you have fire starters to help you. Instead of buying fire starters at the store, make some at home using items you would normally throw away. You can reuse those items and make them into something useful.
Things You'll Need
- Dryer lint
- Empty paper towel or toilet paper tubes
- Old candles
- Used can for melting wax
- Old glass bowl
Video of the Day
Fill the empty paper towel tube with dryer lint. Pack the lint in as tightly as possible. Be aware that lint from nylon and polyester fabric may smell as it burns. Lint from natural fibers like cotton, linen and wool burn more cleanly. Stand the filled tube up in the glass bowl.
Fill the saucepan with 2 to 3 inches of water and place it on the stove. Bring the water to a boil. Place the used candles in the tin can, and place the tin can in the boiling water. The wax will melt in the can to a liquid state.
Carefully pour melted wax onto the end of the tube, completely covering the exposed lint. Allow the wax to harden. It should only take two or three minutes. Turn the tube over so the other end is exposed. Press the lint back into the tube if it has expanded. Pour melted wax over the exposed lint at this end, and allow it to harden completely.
Remove the fire starter log from the bowl and let the wax harden for a couple of hours.
Store your fire starter logs in an airtight container, such as a zip-lock bag, a coffee can or a large peanut butter jar. This prevents the wax from making a mess if it gets too hot.