Famous couples have captured the hearts and minds of new lovers for generations. Whether their love was forbidden, was doomed to fail or blossomed into lifelong bliss, some celebrity couples were true soulmates.
Roll out the red carpet and capture the electricity and romance of their timeless passion with DIY Halloween costume ideas modeled after one of these famous celeb pairs for your next costume party, spooky Halloween party or dress-up event.
Video of the Day
Cleopatra and Mark Antony couples costumes
In arguably one of history's most torrid love affairs, Cleopatra and Marc Antony plunged entire kingdoms into chaos.
Instead of dressing up in traditional Cleopatra and Marc Antony costumes, create costumes that center around the tragedy of their deaths. Marc Antony committed suicide using his own sword, while Cleopatra, after learning of Marc Antony's death, provoked a cobra to bite her. Incorporating these elements with fake blood and a bloodied sword adds dimension to the costumes.
- Mix glue with the fake blood to make it stick more easily to a fake sword.
- Find a fake cobra and bloody its fangs with fake blood. Wrap it around Cleopatra's neck.
- Spirit gum enhances the appearance of wounds. Apply some with a Q-tip and shape a slit for Antony's wound or raised bumps for Cleopatra's snake bite.
Adding a small amount of black, nontoxic, washable paint to store-bought fake blood makes wounds appear darker and more realistic.
Bonnie and Clyde, tragic soulmates
Lovesick outlaws from the Great Depression, Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow were struck and killed by 25 to 50 bullets each before they died in a violent ambush. For a costume twist, riddle 1930s-era outfits (found in a thrift store or consignment shop) with dozens of bullet holes. Here's how to create bullet holes in cloth:
- Using a permanent marker, mark where you wish to place your bullet holes.
- Using fake blood and a paintbrush, fully cover over and around the marking. It doesn't need to be perfect; if anything, you want it to look a little messy. Let the blood dry.
- Using scissors, fold the cloth in half at the marking and cut a small "half-moon" hole about 1/4 inch in diameter to create a full 1/2-inch bullet hole. Repeat this for all the markings.
Put on your costume, and using a clean brush, apply the body glue to the outside of the bullet holes so they stay in place while you wear your costume.
If desired, add spirit gum on the outside of the bullet holes to give them a more realistic appearance. Let these dry for 30 minutes. Clean the brush and add fake blood mixed with black paint to the outside and inside of the bullet holes. Let these dry for 30 minutes.
Bonnie was a chain smoker. She smoked Camel cigarettes, so dangle a fake cigarette from your lips.
Rhett Butler and Scarlett O'Hara, Hollywood royalty
This contentious couple stole hearts in Gone With the Wind. For Scarlett, instead of the sweeping belle of the ball gowns that she typically wore, pay homage to the curtain scene by fashioning her dress out of curtains.
You can even make Rhett's costume entirely out of curtains in an amusing parody of Scarlett's resourcefulness.
Retro Sid and Nancy costumes
Quite possibly one of the wildest couples in modern times, Sid Vicious from the Sex Pistols and his girlfriend, Nancy Spungen, took the 1970s punk rock and pop culture scenes by storm.
Couples Halloween costumes for this pair should be over the top in a mix of both glam and grunge. Go through your own closet and find clothing you no longer wear and cut out sections, adding rips and tears. Use fabric paint to add Sex Pistols lyrics. Go heavy on the makeup and do not shy away from fishnets or leather.
Some accessories to consider for these get-ups include:
- Bracelets with spikes
- Leather chokers
- Large, chandelier-style silver earrings
- A platinum blonde wig for Nancy and a spiked black wig for Sid
- Necklace with a miniature gun pendant
Other famous couples costumes
If you're still stumped, look to pop culture for some famous couples costume inspiration. Some are real, some are fictional, and some of them are no longer together, but these famous couples will still make for an iconic costume:
- Beyonce and Jay-Z
- Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West
- Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker
- John Legend and Chrissy Teigen
- Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas
- Barbie and Ken
- Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon
- Sarah Hyland and Wells Adams
- Batman and Catwoman