A savory bowl of soup is a solid foundation stone for a casual but filling meal. All it needs is a substantial side dish to accompany it.
Video of the Day
Soup and a sandwich is a time-honored combination. Some combinations to try:
- Tomato soup and grilled cheese is an iconic pairing.
- Pair a simple sandwich of cold cuts with potato-leek potager.
- Serve matzo balls in broth alongside a piled-high Reuben.
- Try chicken soup with a chicken salad.
- Serve a BLT with a cup of lentil soup.
- Match a fried egg sandwich with a light garlic broth.
- For kids, pair a peanut butter sandwich with a bowl of alphabet soup.
Instead of a full-blown salad, you can accompany a bowl of soup with a simple bread.
- Pair a bowl of chili or black bean soup with a slice of cornbread.
- Match clam chowder with a hunk of sourdough.
- Serve grilled garlic toast alongside a bowl of minestrone.
- Offer oatmeal bannocks to accompany a beef-and-barley soup.
- Try borscht accompanied by a hearty rye roll.
Soup and salad is another classic combination found on lunch menus across the country. Your salad could be a tossed or chopped lettuce-based bowl or it could utilize beans, rice or pasta instead.
- Try a cream of mushroom soup with a bright red cabbage slaw on the side.
- Pair potato salad with corn chowder.
- Match a creamy soup such as cream of cauliflower with a spunky Caesar salad.
- Accompany white bean soup with a spinach salad topped with pear, walnuts and blue cheese.
- Serve avgolemono, a Greek egg and lemon soup, with a side of Greek salad with feta, cucumbers, tomatoes and olives.
- Pair a salad of fresh shelling beans or lentils with a smooth carrot soup.
In cold weather, serve a warm vegetable side dish alongside a steaming bowl of soup. A simple saute of green beans or broccoli, or a serving of oven-roasted root vegetables works well here. It's particularly rewarding to play with color contrasts here.
- Try a side of steamed or sauteed broccoli with a bowl of pumpkin soup.
- Pair a roasted sweet potato with a pistou soup.
- Serve broccoli-cheddar soup with a side of baked potato.
- Offer sauteed greens dressed with lemon beside a bowl of lentil soup.
- Try egg drop soup with a side of stir-fried bok choy or green beans.