Mold is a type of fungus that eats plant matter in nature. Dust mites are small organisms that eat dust in your carpet and textiles and on the walls of your home. Mold spores and dust mites can cause an allergic reaction such as coughing, sneezing, and watery and itchy eyes. You cannot completely remove white mold or dust mites from your home, but you can lower the amounts of spores and mites.
Things You'll Need
- Scrubbing brush
- Dust mask
- Spray bottle
- HEPA vacuum
Video of the Day
Remove White Mold
Put on gloves, goggles and a dust mask to protect yourself.
Mix 1 gallon water with 1 cup bleach. Bleach will kill white mold spores.
Fill a spray bottle with the bleach solution and spray it over the white mold growth. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes so that is can loosen the mold growth.
Scrub with a soft-bristled brush until you remove all of the mold growth.
Rinse the area with clear water and dry it completely with a clean cloth. Don’t let it air-dry or the mold will simply grow back.
Remove Dust Mites
Soak a clean cloth in clear water. Wring it out so that it is slightly damp.
Rub the cloth over surfaces in your home. This will remove dust mites on the surface. Rinse the cloth with water to wash the mites down your sink.
Wash blankets, sheets and any other textiles in water that is hotter than 130 degrees F. Mites tend to settle in textiles, and hot water will kill them.
Vacuum the floor with a HEPA vacuum. It will filter out any dust mites that are settled in your carpet.