Things You'll Need
Mold can affect all different types of services in your home. Any items that are stored in an area with excessive moisture or humidity are at high risk for developing mold spores, which can quickly spread when they are not dealt with. For example, if you have a cooking pot stored in your basement or garage, it could be in the perfect environment for mold formation. If you discover that there is mold inside or around your pot, it must be cleaned and disinfected before you can use it.
Fill your sink or a utility tub with hot water if the pot is very large. Add 1 to 2 tbs. of dishwashing detergent to the hot water.
Video of the Day
Place the pot inside the soapy hot water and let it soak for a few minutes.
Scrub both the inside and outside of the pot with a scrubbing pad. As the pad gets soiled with mold, replace it with a new one. Keep scrubbing until you can no longer see mold on the pot.
Rinse the pot and pat dry with a dish towel. Fill a large container with about 1 gallon of water. This time, add 3/4 cup of chlorine bleach to the water.
Place the pot in the bleach water and move it around until all surfaces of the pot are wet with the bleach water. Wait at least 15 minutes. Rewet surfaces of the pot that dry within the 15 minutes.
Rinse the pot with water and then wash again in the soapy hot water to remove the bleach residue. Rinse again and pat dry with a dish towel before using the pot for cooking.
Protect your hands from bleach with dish washing gloves.
Never mix bleach with any product that contains ammonia.