The popping and crackling of oil while cooking often ends up on your light fixtures, and over time creates a greasy film that can create an unpleasant odor when the light is on. Thankfully, dishwashing liquid removes grease and is safe to use on your light fixture, according to "The Complete Household Handbook" by Good Housekeeping. Periodic cleaning keeps the light fixture free of cooking oils, and preserves the life of the fixture's finish.
Things You'll Need
- Dishwashing liquid
- Cleaning cloth
- Flat or Philips screwdriver
Dampen a soft, lint-free cleaning cloth with warm water and squeeze 1 tsp. of dishwashing liquid onto it.
Turn off the light's switch, and place a piece of tape over it to ensure it doesn't accidentally turn on while cleaning. Wait for the light fixture to cool prior to cleaning.
Stand on a ladder or stable surface and remove the glass dome from the light fixture with a screwdriver if applicable.
Wash out the dome with soapy water, or wipe down the glass surface on the light fixture by rubbing the dishwashing liquid onto the light fixture in a circular motion.
Rinse off the glass surface with a new damp cloth, and screw the dome back onto the fixture. Remove the tape from the light switch.