How to Remove Mold From Gyprock

eHow may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story. Learn more about our affiliate and product review process here.

Things You'll Need

  • Bleach

  • Water

  • Spray bottle

  • Permanent marker

  • Old, clean cloth

  • Respiratory mask

  • Rubber or latex gloves

  • Old clothes

Gyprock makes plaster products that can have porous and non-porous surfaces.

Gyprock is a name brand of plasterboard and plaster products that are used in the home to create ceilings and walls. These products can create porous and non-porous surfaces. Mold is nature's natural cleaner and decomposition substance. This is a type of bacteria that breaks down dying vegetation in nature, but inside the home, this can be dangerous. Some molds create respiratory issues and other systemic conditions, and in severe cases, result in poisoning and death.


Step 1

Put on the old clothes. Bleach will discolor most fabrics, so make sure you are wearing clothes that you don't mind getting ruined. Take precautions and wear a respiratory mask and rubber or latex gloves.

Video of the Day

Step 2

Fill the spray bottle halfway with warm water. Spray down the moldy areas on the Gyprock. This will prevent the mold spores from getting into the air when you begin to clean the mold.


Step 3

Tear out and discard any porous Gyprock products. The mold can never be successfully removed from porous surfaces and they must be replaced. If you have a non-porous Gyprock product covered in mold, continue to step 4.

Step 4

Mix ½ cup of bleach into the warm water left in the spray bottle. Fill the spray bottle the rest of the way with warm water. Label the spray bottle with the permanent marker.


Step 5

Spray the moldy area with the bleach solution and allow the bleach solution to sit for at least 15 minutes in order for the bleach to penetrate, kill, and disinfect the surface.

Step 6

Scrub the area with an old, clean cloth. Rinse the Gyprock surface well with clean, hot water. Allow the surface to air dry if at all possible. If it is not possible for the surface to dry naturally, then set up fans or heaters as appropriate.


Bleach is a chemical that can cause chemical burns to the skin, or harmful conditions if ingested. Do not ingest bleach. Keep out of reach of children.


Video of the Day


Report an Issue

screenshot of the current page

Screenshot loading...