Mold comes in different textures and colors. The most common mold found in homes is black, green and gray. For years, bleach has been the common method of killing mold in homes. However, it is now known that bleach is not an effective way to kill mold. According to OSHA, "The use of biocides, such as chlorine bleach, is not recommended as a routine practice during mold remediation." Chlorine bleach is too diluted to permanently kill mold that has been absorbed into surfaces. Instead, two natural and effective substances to rid your home of gray mold are vinegar and borax. Before beginning the mold removal process, equip yourself with safety glasses, N-95 respirator and rubber gloves. Also, wear a long sleeve shirt and pants during the process.
Things You'll Need
Long sleeve shirt
Using Vinegar to Kill Mold
Fill a spray bottle with white vinegar.
Spray the gray mold with the white vinegar and allow to sit for about 30 minutes.
Wipe the mold away with a damp cloth. If necessary, scrub the area with vinegar and a scrub brush.
Allow the area to dry completely.
Using Borax to Kill Mold
Mix 1 cup of borax with 1 gallon of water in a 5-gallon bucket.
Scrub the mold using a brush saturated in the borax-water mixture. Alternatively, sprinkle pure borax on the mold and let sit for five minutes. After the allotted time, scrub the area with a brush.
Wipe the area using a cloth dampened with the borax-water mixture.
Allow the area to air dry. There is no need to rinse the borax mixture from the area.
If the mold problem is greater than 10 square feet and you are experiencing mold-related health issues, such as respiratory problems, call in a professional who specializes in mold remediation.