How to Remove Mold Behind Paneling

eHow may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story. Learn more about our affiliate and product review process here.

Things You'll Need

  • Face mask

  • Rubber gloves

  • Steel wool or tough plastic scrubber

  • Water

  • Soap

  • Sponge

  • Bleach

  • New paneling and woodwork

Mold can be a very dangerous problem. Many types are known to make people sick, giving them severe headaches, nausea and even asthma attacks in the presence of mold. Anytime there is flooding, leakage or any other situation that causes a paneled wall to become wet, it is important to inspect for mold and take action to get rid of it as soon as possible before the problem spreads and becomes unmanageable.


Step 1

Locate the moldy areas. When mold is growing behind paneling, you may not have any visual indication that it is there. Instead, you should consider the conditions in the room to determine the most likely areas for mold to have taken hold. Any areas with leaks, flooding or excessive moisture are likely to have developed a mold problem. Look beneath the most likely areas first, and if you do find mold, continue to work outward from there until you have uncovered the entire problem.

Video of the Day

Step 2

Remove all moldy panels, trim and other woodwork. These pieces should be discarded and replaced to ensure that the mold is taken care of. Next, remove and replace any damp insulation as this may contain mold spores as well. Always wear a face mask and gloves when dealing with mold.

Step 3

Scrub the mold with steel wool or a tough plastic scrubber dipped in soap and water until it has been removed from the surface.


Step 4

Scrub the surface again with a sponge using a mixture of one part bleach to four parts water.

Step 5

Allow a half-hour for the bleach solution to dry. Once dry, you can begin installing new insulation, paneling and woodwork.


If the infected area covers more than 30 square feet of your home, you should call in a professional to deal with the mold as the dust and spores released during cleaning can be dangerous.


Video of the Day