Mildew and mold are most often found in basements and enclosed areas. Mold however, can also be found in your subfloor. Mold can be very dangerous if it is not handled properly. It can cause severe damage to people living around it. If you have mold in your subfloor, there are a few ways to remove it from the area. At the first sight of mold, deal with it immediately before it spreads.
Things You'll Need
Open all the door and windows in the area where the mold is located, and allow air to circulate in and out of the room as much as possible. This helps remove the mold smell from the inside of the house.
Find the exact mold location on the subfloor and spray the area thoroughly with bleach. Cover the entire surface with bleach and let it stand for five minutes. Bleach kills the mold on the subfloor. Wipe down the entire area with a clean rag. Repeat the process multiple times to kill as much mold as possible.
Wipe down the bleached area with a damp rag and remove all the bleach from the subfloor. Wipe the subfloor clean with a dry rag. Go over the entire surface in a circular motion and remove any bleach and water that remains.
Set up a fan in the area and turn it on high. Dry out the floor and remove the smell through the open windows in the room. Plug in a dehumidifier in the room and run it to discourage moisture from collecting in that area and encourage air to move out.
Spray an air freshener in the room to help bring back a fresh smell in the area. Spray a heavy amount to help cover up the smell of the mold in the subfloor.