How to Change the Home-of-Record in the Military

eHow may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story. Learn more about our affiliate and product review process here.
A military member's home-of-record is the location in which he first enlists.

Your military home-of-record is generally the place where you enlisted or were commissioned into service. Your state of legal residence is typically the same. However, you cannot use them interchangeably. While you can change your state of legal residence at any time, your home-of-record can only be changed if it was entered in error or during your next enlistment. Officers can only change the home-of-record if it was entered in error.


If either of these situations applies to you, your finance office can help you -- provided you have the right proof.

Video of the Day

Video of the Day

Step 1

Consult the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act for tax information prior to changing your home-of-record. Changing your home-of-record or state of legal residence could alter your benefits and tax burden. Also consult your military branch's legal office for further explanations, if needed.

Step 2

Gather any proof that shows your intent to live in your new home-of-record or that the home-of-record listed is incorrect. This could include tax payment receipts and utility bills addressed in your name. Make copies.

Step 3

Bring the proof of your new home-of-record to your respective branch's finance office and hand in the copies.


If you intend to change your state of legal residence, download or obtain DD Form 2058 (State of Legal Residence Certificate). Print information in all blocks. This can be done at any time during your military career. Spouses and beneficiaries of deceased members must use DD Form 149 (Application for Correction of Military Records).