Delicious protein shakes (and smoothies) are easy to make at home using easy-to-find ingredients. While protein powders are always an option, some find the flavor off-putting. A simple combination of peanut butter and banana makes for a winning flavor, and protein-filled whole foods like rolled oats, nuts or nut milks, and seeds also provide a nutrient boost. Following the shake recipe below yields 21 grams of protein, and you can always customize the shake if more protein is needed.
Things You'll Need
- 1 ½ large ripe bananas, peeled and frozen
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (see note)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- 3 to 5 ice cubes
Video of the Day
- Any type of peanut butter can be used in a shake or smoothie, including crunchy, creamy, sweetened, or unsweetened. If using an unsweetened peanut butter, you may consider adding a small amount of honey to sweeten the shake.
- Because there is protein in peanut butter, almond milk, and oats, it's not necessary to add protein powder, but you certainly can if you'd like. Choose a protein powder with few additives and low or no sugar in order to keep this shake clean and healthful.
- Consider adding chia seeds or hemp seeds (or hemp powder), or whole raw nuts like almonds, walnuts or pecans to boost the nutrient level of this shake.
- Any non-dairy milk, such as coconut milk, cashew milk or soy milk can be used to replace the almond milk. You can also use regular dairy milk.
- In addition to peanut butter, you can make protein shakes using almond butter, cashew butter, sunbutter, etc.
- A dash of cinnamon and even a tiny amount of pure vanilla extract are optional for enhancing the flavor of a peanut butter and banana protein shake.
Step 1: Gather Your Ingredients
Gauge and measure your ingredients depending on the level of protein and sweetness you're looking for. For more protein, add more peanut butter, or a scoop of protein powder. For a sweeter shake, add a small amount of pure maple syrup, honey, fresh figs, or pitted dates.
Step 2: Blend Ingredients
Add all of the ingredients for the shake to a high-powered blender. Blend until completely smooth. If necessary add more almond milk to help blend the ingredients. Note: As the shake sits, it will become thicker and creamier because of the oats.
Step 3: Enjoy!
Before pouring the shake into a glass, you can taste it for flavor. If you'd like, add more peanut butter, banana, almond milk, or a sweetener like honey to taste, and blend again until combined. Pour shake into a tall glass, and enjoy!