Delicious protein shakes (and smoothies) are easy to make at home using easy-to-find ingredients. While protein powders are always an option, some find the flavor off-putting. A simple combination of peanut butter and banana makes for a winning flavor, and protein-filled whole foods like rolled oats, nuts or nut milks, and seeds also provide a nutrient boost. Following the shake recipe below yields 21 grams of protein, and you can always customize the shake if more protein is needed.
Video of the Day
Things You'll Need
1 ½ large ripe bananas, peeled and frozen
2 tablespoons peanut butter (see note)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
3 to 5 ice cubes
- Any type of peanut butter can be used in a shake or smoothie, including crunchy, creamy, sweetened, or unsweetened. If using an unsweetened peanut butter, you may consider adding a small amount of honey to sweeten the shake.
- Because there is protein in peanut butter, almond milk, and oats, it's not necessary to add protein powder, but you certainly can if you'd like. Choose a protein powder with few additives and low or no sugar in order to keep this shake clean and healthful.
- Consider adding chia seeds or hemp seeds (or hemp powder), or whole raw nuts like almonds, walnuts or pecans to boost the nutrient level of this shake.
- Any non-dairy milk, such as coconut milk, cashew milk or soy milk can be used to replace the almond milk. You can also use regular dairy milk.
- In addition to peanut butter, you can make protein shakes using almond butter, cashew butter, sunbutter, etc.
- A dash of cinnamon and even a tiny amount of pure vanilla extract are optional for enhancing the flavor of a peanut butter and banana protein shake.
Step 1: Gather Your Ingredients
Gauge and measure your ingredients depending on the level of protein and sweetness you're looking for. For more protein, add more peanut butter, or a scoop of protein powder. For a sweeter shake, add a small amount of pure maple syrup, honey, fresh figs, or pitted dates.
Step 2: Blend Ingredients
Add all of the ingredients for the shake to a high-powered blender. Blend until completely smooth. If necessary add more almond milk to help blend the ingredients. Note: As the shake sits, it will become thicker and creamier because of the oats.
Step 3: Enjoy!
Before pouring the shake into a glass, you can taste it for flavor. If you'd like, add more peanut butter, banana, almond milk, or a sweetener like honey to taste, and blend again until combined. Pour shake into a tall glass, and enjoy!