How to Get Rid of Mold or Mildew

eHow may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story.

Things You'll Need

  • Rubber gloves

  • Goggles

  • Bleach

  • Water

  • Stiff bristle scrubbing brush

Mold and mildew doesn't just look and smell bad. Some mold, such as black mold, can present a health risk as well. Mold and mildew can also cause wood to rot, ruining the surface under bathroom and kitchen floors and countertops where moisture can accumulate. It can also ruin windows framed with wood. But you can easily remove mold or mildew and prevent them from returning.


Video of the Day

Step 1

Protect your hands with rubber gloves, and your eyes with goggles. Mix one cup of bleach with a gallon of warm water in a plastic bucket or other container that is not metal. Then, pour some of the mixture into a spray bottle.


Step 2

Spray the bleach mixture directly onto the mold or mildew, if it is on painted walls. Protect furniture and any other nearby objects by covering with newspaper, tarp or old sheets.


If the mold and mildew is on clothing, towels or other fabric, spray full-strength bleach on the spots, not the diluted mixture. Decide if the fabric is worth treating because the colors may be bleached out.

Step 3

Wait at least five minutes for the bleach mixture to penetrate the mold and mildew on a surface. Then, scrub the mold with a stiff scrubbing brush.


For clothes, let the bleach sit for a half hour, then wash as usual.

Step 4

Rinse the surface with cool water, and let dry. If any mold or mildew remains, repeat the steps, or hire a professional restoration contractor to get rid of the mold and mildew.


Dry clothing as usual.

Step 5

Prevent mold and mildew from returning by properly ventilating the area. Turn on a fan whenever you use the shower, or open a nearby window.


If you suspect or know that mold is under flooring or behind wallpaper, or in the attic or basement, consult professionals to get an estimate for a removal.

Try setting wet, moldy fabric items out in the sun before treating them; sunlight naturally kills mold.


Be sure to use fans and open windows when spraying the bleach mixture; it should not be inhaled.


references & resources

Report an Issue

Screenshot loading...