While the saying "There's No Place Like Home" may be true, nothing makes you feel at home quite like rustic décor. Whether you call it farmhouse style, vintage or country, the style is cozy and welcoming. Even modern homes can add warmth and lived-in comfort with an eclectic mix that includes some bucolic touches. Rustic décor also works year-round, as the natural colors are perfect for fall and winter, while the inviting elements are a great touch for spring and summer entertaining both indoors and out. With these DIY décor kits, you can add some rustic elegance to your home while expressing your creativity.
Video of the Day
1. DIY Wood Table Lanterns
Lanterns are a beautiful way to add charm to your home. Place them on mantles and entryways or use them as functional centerpieces. They also look magical hanging from a tree. For safety, it's recommended to use battery-operated candles, but you can even fill your lanterns with bouquets of flowers. This kit lets you make a set of two lanterns, one 12 inches tall and one 10 inches tall.
- Wood lantern pieces
- 8 metal brackets with screws
- Instructions – video and written
2. 3-Wick Candle Kit
Candles are so easy to make yourself, and once you've made one, you'll wonder why you've waited so long. Candles are not only essential décor items but they also make great gifts. What gives these candles their rustic charm is the dough bowl container. Those of you who bake your own bread may recognize these oval bowls that are used to proof dough. What a homey vessel for a relaxing candle! Because the bowl is oval, this candle features three wicks, resulting in an even more dramatic piece. As a bonus, all the ingredients to make this candle are natural, including the 100-percent-soy wax.
- 1 dough bowl – your pick of a brown or white bowl
- 1 wood spoon
- 3 cotton wicks
- 3 wick stickers to stick the wicks to your dough bowl
- 1 pound of 100-percent-soy wax flakes
- 1 ounce of your choice of fragrance
- Step-by-step instructions
3. Mason Jar Flowers Diamond Painting Kit
Diamond painting is a hot DIY craft trend that's similar to paint by numbers, but instead of paint, you fill in the numbers on your canvas with rhinestones. The result is a stunning piece of wall art that's dimensional and looks like cross-stitch. The craft technique is very relaxing, as you can fill in the artwork at your own pace, creating a section at a time. This kit is full of country charm, featuring a 12 by 16-inch painting of flowers in mason jars.
- 1 canvas with artwork printed on it
- Colorful "diamonds" (plus 30 percent more than you'll need just in case)
- Point diamond pen
- Packet of gel
- Diamond tray
4. Handcrafted Wood American Flag Kit
It doesn't have to be the Fourth of July to pay tribute to the stars and the stripes. This unique DIY kit features an American flag that you craft out of wood strips. Each kit is hand cut and made to order, and your finished flag will have a vintage Americana quality that you'll be proud to display.
- 1 frame, with D-ring hooks attached for hanging
- 13 wooden stripes
- 1 wood block for stars
- 2 containers of stain (blue and red)
- 1 container of white paint
- 1 bottle of wood glue
- 2 paintbrushes
- Vinyl stencil of stars
- 1 popsicle stick
- 1 paint cloth
- Instructional/informational sheet
5. Farmhouse Signs Paint Kit
Farmhouse signs are an easy way to add whimsical charm to your home, and this kit features an array of messages. You can even personalize one of the signs with your family name. Creating these signs would be a great activity for everyone in the family or the main event of a craft night party with friends. Then, you can show off the signs on a tier tray or shelf.
- Sign cutouts for seven signs
- Paint sponges
6. DIY Bird Feeder Kit
This rustic décor accent is for the birds. Now, your home can be the most popular one on the block for all your feathered friends. This bird feeder kit is made with reclaimed wood pallet pieces, giving the finished piece a homespun appeal. The natural wood looks great on its own, but you can paint or stain it if you'd like. So, as your creative juices fly, so will all the birds flocking to visit your yard.
- Precut and sanded boards
- Screws and nails
- Eye hooks
7. "Blessed" Country Wreath Kit
A colorful wreath is a great way to greet family and visitors who come through your door. Wreaths also liven up a patio or outside gate not to mention a kitchen or office. Creating your own wreath is a fun way to flex your creativity. They're easy to assemble as long as you have the right materials, and this wreath kit has so many elements for you to play with, including a sign that says "blessed."
- 14-inch metal wreath frame
- 20 12-inch beige pipe cleaners
- 10-yard roll moss-green metallic deco mesh
- 10-yard roll matte metallic burlap deco mesh
- 8 by 12-inch wood "blessed" sign
- 10-yard roll of 2.5-inch shimmer dark denim ribbon
- 10-yard roll of 2.5-inch brown and gold cheetah ribbon
- 10-yard roll of 1.5-inch ivory and gold Swiss dot ribbon
- 10-yard roll of 1.5-inch moss-green polka dot ribbon
8. Mason Jar Sconce DIY Kit
Could this trio of Mason jar sconces be any more delightful? This DIY kit includes everything you need to make three wall sconces adorned with Mason jars. Fill each jar with dried or silk flowers, and you'll have a home decoration that will be a showpiece for the wall. You can even change out the contents of the jars to suit the season.
- 3 Mason jars
- 3 pieces of stained wood
- 1 jar of cream-colored paint
- 1 paintbrush
- Sawtooth hooks
- Jar hooks
- Step-by-step instructions
9. Labrador Wood Door Sign
Calling all dog lovers! This door sign is the perfect accent to celebrate humankind's best friend. Hang it on your front door, above a dog bed or in the entryway where you keep the leashes. The sign's festive bow and greenery are the perfect finishing touches and can be customized to match your home's color scheme.
- 1/4-inch-thick Baltic birch plywood round sign
- Black Labrador sticker made from permanent vinyl
- Rope banner with heavy chipboard that is sealed with your custom saying on top
- Thick burlap rope glued to the back for hanging
10. Heart String Art Pallet Sign
String art is so fun to make, and this string art sign of a heart will definitely become a favorite décor piece in your home. The wood pallet base and jute cord for hanging give this sign its farmhouse charm. You'll find that the simple act of stringing the yarn around the nails is so stress-relieving.
- 12 by 14-inch wood pallet
- Jute cord attached for hanging
- 120-yard soft ecru Sugar 'n Cream brand yarn
- Cut nails - black
- 1 heart template
- Complete instructions and photos
Any of these rustic décor accents will make your home a welcoming space. The fact that you're handcrafting them yourself just makes them that much more heartfelt and special.