How to Kill Mold on Studs

eHow may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story.

Things You'll Need

  • Bucket

  • Water

  • Bleach

  • Sponge or cloth

Clean mold off your wooden studs quickly and thoroughly.

Since wood is an organic material, mold can grow on it very quickly. If mold is left on the wooden studs for too long, it will leave ugly stains and affect your health. To help prevent the mold from growing in the first place, make sure to keep the humidity level of the room it is in low. The best way to do this is to use a dehumidifier. Once you have killed the mold, it is important to put preventive measures in place to prevent its recurrence.


Video of the Day

Step 1

Mix bleach and warm water in a 5 gallon bucket. For wooden studs that are unpainted, you can use 3 parts water to 1 part bleach. If your studs are painted, use 3/4 cup bleach for every 1 gallon of water.

Step 2

Soak a sponge or cloth in the mixture and then use it to scrub away the mold. Make sure to wring the extra water from the sponge or cloth to prevent too much water from being absorbed by the wood.

Step 3

Allow the wood to dry completely. Repeat the cleaning process. You can clean the wood as many times as necessary to remove all the mold, but allow the wood to dry completely between each cleaning.

Step 4

Clean the wood one last time with plain water.


If you have a severe mold problem, it may be best to call in professionals to do a more thorough cleaning.