Start to Finish: 5 to 10 minutes
Servings: 2 to 6
Difficulty Level: Beginner
Skip heating up the oven without sacrificing the appeal of warm muffins by baking Jiffy brand corn muffins in the microwave. The Jiffy muffin mix makes it easy to create muffins customized to satisfy your cravings, while a silicone muffin pan makes it possible to bake them in the microwave. Although they don't brown the same way as oven-baked muffins, these zesty corn muffins taste just as good. This recipe was adapted from Jiffy's microwave muffin recipe.
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 box Jiffy mix
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons scallions
Whisk the egg and milk together until well combined.
Add the Jiffy mix, stirring until it fully blends with the wet ingredients.
Fold in the cheddar cheese, jalapeno and scallions.
Line a microwavable muffin pan and fill the cups one-third of the way full.
Microwave the muffins using high power. According to Jiffy, the amount of time needed in the microwave depends on the number of muffins you make. Two muffins need 1 1/2 minutes, while 6 muffins typically take 3 minutes in the microwave.
You can vary the basic recipe with different add-ins. For sweeter muffins, try using other Jiffy muffin mixes, which come in flavors such as banana, chocolate and oatmeal. Some possible combinations include:
- Banana muffin mix combined with 1 mashed banana, 1/3 cup peanut butter chips and 2 tablespoons crushed peanuts, or simply add 1/3 cup blueberries.
- Chocolate muffin mix combined with flaked coconut or fresh raspberries.
- Oatmeal muffin mix seasoned with a sprinkle of cinnamon and 1/3 cup of dried cranberries.