Things You'll Need
Oven mitts, pot holders or thick kitchen towel
During the process of candle making, some wax is left behind in the mold after the candle is removed. The wax buildup affects the next batch of candles by changing the uniformity of their shape and color. Also further candles may be more difficult to remove. To keep candle molds working well, it is necessary to remove any leftover wax before using them again. With proper cleaning, your candle molds will be usable for years to come.
Video of the Day
Metal Candle Molds
Preheat the oven to the coolest setting available, such as 150 to 170 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not use a temperature higher than 170 degrees Fahrenheit.
Lay two layers of paper towel across the cookie sheet's surface. The paper towel should be thick and absorbent.
Set the molds on the cookie sheet with the open end down. Leave space between the molds so they are not touching.
Place the candle molds in the oven for 15 minutes or until the wax starts to melt. Remove them from the oven.
Hold one mold at a time in one hand using the oven mitt, pot holder or thick towel. Use the other hand to wipe off the melted wax with paper towels. Be careful to prevent contact between your skin and the heated metal mold.
Set the mold aside to cool. Do not stack the molds together until they are completely cooled. If stacked while they are still warm, they might stick together.
Plastic and Silicone Candle Molds
Fill the sink with hot water and add dish soap until the water is fairly sudsy. Get the water as hot as your hands can handle so it will soften the wax.
Place the molds in the water-filled sink and let them soak until the wax softens. Do not wait too long; however, or the water will begin to cool too much and the wax will re-harden.
Wearing rubber gloves, wipe down each mold using the wash cloth to remove the softened wax.
If some areas are still too wax covered, you can scrape it off with a blunt knife then soak again. Add additional hot water when necessary, but be careful not to scratch or nick the mold’s surface.
You can also soak a mold in a pan of water heated on the stove, but the wax will leave residue on the pan's interior.