How to Renew a Passport in Connecticut

eHow may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story. Learn more about our affiliate and product review process here.

Things You'll Need

  • Most recent passport

  • 2 passport photos

  • Passport processing fee

  • Padded envelope

You can renew your passport by mail in Connecticut.

When traveling to destinations outside of the United States and its territories, Canada and Mexico, a valid passport is required. Your passport also serves as proof that you are allowed back into the United States when you return from your travels. You can renew your passport by mail with form DS-82 or at most Connecticut post offices.


Step 1

Fill out form DS-82 online. The form can be found on the U.S. Department of State website. Make sure your information is complete and correct before printing the form with black ink on a plain white sheet of paper. If you have trouble filling the form out online, you can print out a blank form and then fill it out by hand in black ink instead.


Step 2

Sign and date the first page of the completed application form. Your application for renewal will not be processed without your signature.

Step 3

Place your completed DS-82 form, your most recent passport, two new passport photos and a check or money order for the processing fee inside a padded envelope. If your name has changed since you last applied, you will also need to send in a marriage certificate or court order for a name change. Address the envelope to the passport agency address listed on the application form.


Step 4

Bring the envelope to the nearest Connecticut post office. Send your application with a traceable delivery method, such as USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation or USPS Express Mail. Your application should be processed in 4 to 6 weeks.


Make sure to renew your passport at least six weeks before you plan to travel.

For expedited renewal service, include the additional expedited processing fee and clearly mark "Expedite" on the outside of your envelope.


Do not submit cash with your application. Processing fees must be paid by check or money order.

Check the Department of State website for any changes in processing and expediting fees.


Report an Issue

screenshot of the current page

Screenshot loading...