How to Clean Up Chocolate Milk Spilled on the Carpet

eHow may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story.

Things You'll Need

  • Paper towels

  • Water

  • Spray bottle

  • Towel

  • Shop vacuum (optional)

  • Dish soap

  • Baking soda

  • Brush

  • Lemon juice

  • Sponge

Image Credit: George Doyle/Stockbyte/Getty Images

Chocolate milk is a water-based stain, and is therefore easier to remove than oil-based stains. By using some everyday items, you can successfully clean the chocolate milk that was spilled on your carpet with no need to buy specialty cleaners. Chocolate milk can start to spoil if left long enough, so tend to the stain as soon as you can to avoid the smell of bad milk.


Video of the Day

Step 1

Blot the spilled chocolate milk spot gently with a paper towel. Depending on the amount of chocolate milk spilled, you may need multiple sheets of paper towel. Begin blotting on the outer edge of the stain—this will prevent the chocolate milk stain from spreading further.

Step 2

Neutralize the spilled chocolate milk stain by spraying as much cold water as you can onto the stain and mopping it up with an old towel. If you have a shop vacuum, you can use it to suck the water out of the stain.


Step 3

Make a cleaning solution of one cup of water with a 1/4 tsp. of clear dish soap. Soak the sponge in the cleaning solution and gently dab at the spilled chocolate milk stain in your carpet. Rinse the carpet with clean water by spraying a small amount on the stain, and then blotting it with a paper towel.

Step 4

To treat the sour smell of old chocolate milk stains, sprinkle some baking soda onto the area, and then mist it with a little water. Leave the baking powder and water on the chocolate milk stain overnight. Once the area is dry, use a brush to loosen the baking powder, and then vacuum over the stain. This will remove the smell from the carpet.


Step 5

For extra stubborn stains, sprinkle with lemon juice on the stain and allow it to dry. Spray the spilled chocolate milk stain with cool water and dry the spot with an old towel.