Hanging items on a brick wall is somewhat more complicated than other types of walls. Brick cannot be simply nailed into, nor can it be screwed. Instead you must first drill a hole using a masonry bit, then use an anchor to secure a screw or bolt to the wall. Anchors come in different sizes, materials and weight allowances; and are available individually or in bulk at your local hardware store.
Things You'll Need
- Masonry bit
- Anchor and screw/bolt
- Hammer (optional)
- Screwdriver or wrench
Drill a hole into the brick using a masonry bit. The diameter of the hole will depend on the anchor that you are using. Consult the anchor packaging for the drill bit size that you should use.
Slide a plastic anchor into the hole. If needed, tap the anchor in place with a hammer.
Insert the included screw into the anchor and tighten it. As you screw, the anchor will expand and grip the sides of the hole.
Stop screwing when 1/4-inch of the screw remains. Hang lightweight items such as picture frames on the screw.
Drill a hole in the brick using a masonry bit. If you are hanging a large object such as shelves or a large mirror, you may have to drill multiple holes.
Thread a sleeve anchor through any existing hole in the object you are hanging (such as a shelving bracket), then insert it into the drilled hole.
You may have to drill a hole in the object that you are hanging if it does not already have one.
Turn the sleeve anchor's screw or bolt clockwise to widen the end, securing it tightly in the drilled hole.
Tips & Warnings
- Be careful to select an anchor that can support the weight of the item that you are hanging. This information is provided on the anchor packaging.
- If necessary, you can use multiple anchors. For example, a 50-pound mirror can use a single 50-pound anchor, or two 25-pound anchors spaced several inches apart.
- "Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual"; Reader's Digest; 2005
- "Home Improvement 1-2-3"; Home Depot; 1995
- Photo Credit Hemera Technologies/AbleStock.com/Getty Images
How to Hang a Picture on Brick
When decorating your home, hanging pictures or paintings on your walls gives the room a beautiful finishing touch. Hanging a picture on...