You can spruce up an older mobile home with a new coat of paint and matching trim, and you can save money by doing the job yourself. You can even save money on your home energy bills by choosing the right colors of paint. To ensure a smooth, attractive appearance that lasts, use a paint designed for aluminum surfaces such as the exteriors of mobile homes.
Things You'll Need
- Power washer
- Masking tape
- Paint trays
- Paint rollers with extension handles
- Paint sprayer
Use a power washer to clean the exterior of your mobile home thoroughly. You can rent a power washer if you do not own one. Most power washers have enough pressure to remove even stubborn dirt, mold and mildew without having to add bleach or detergent to the water. Allow the exterior of your home to dry completely before beginning to apply paint.
Use masking tape to tape newspaper over all window glass to avoid accidentally getting paint on the glass while painting your home.
Apply paint to the exterior of your mobile home, using paint rollers or a paint sprayer. You can rent a paint sprayer if you do not own one. If you prefer to use paint rollers, attach extension handles to give yourself greater reach.
Use a paintbrush to paint the trim on your mobile home.
Apply a second coat of paint if needed after the first coat has dried. Paint designed for use on the exteriors of mobiles homes is usually pretty thick, though, so you may not need a second coat.
Tips & Warnings
- Choose light colors of paint for the exterior of your mobile home if you want to save on summer cooling bills. Consider colors such as white, cream, beige, peach, pale yellow, light blue or light green. Many people prefer to use a contrasting color for the trim on their homes.
- Clean paint rollers and paintbrushes immediately after use for an easier clean up.
- Use ladders safely when needed to paint high areas. Use only sturdy ladders placed on level ground and do not attempt to stand on the top rung.
- If you rent power equipment with which you are not familiar, such as a power washer or paint sprayer, make sure you understand how to use it properly and safely before you begin.
- Photo Credit Camping â€" Mobilhome image by albillottet from Fotolia.com
How To Paint Metal Siding
If the paint on your metal siding is peeling and looks faded and dull, it might be that you are ready for...
How Much Paint Do I Need for My House?
Each exterior and interior house paint lists the total square-foot coverage in the information on the paint can. Normal coverage is between...
How to Paint the Walls in My Mobile Home
The walls in a mobile home aren't much different from the walls in a regular home. The walls may be made of...
How to Spruce Up Mobile Home Tongues
Mobile homes are connected to trucks when transporting them via the tongue, a metal triangle that protrudes from the front of the...
How to Restore Vintage Mobile Homes
Vintage mobile homes are a quaint alternative to traditional housing with more privacy than an apartment and less cost than a house....
Mobile Home Paint Colors
Updating the look of a mobile home is sometimes challenging, especially if the home is outfitted with wood paneling and lacks sufficient...