A platform bed is certainly one of the easiest bed frames to build on your own, and is arguably one of the easiest do-it-yourself projects in general. The simple design puts one well within the reach of a budding carpenter's first furniture attempt. The clean lines lend a modern, uncluttered look to the bedroom. Set aside an afternoon for this project, most of which you'll spend waiting for the paint to dry.
Things You'll Need
- Plywood sheet, 3/4 inch by 54 inches by 75 inches
- 3 Beams, 2 inches by 6 inches by 54 inches
- 9 Wood screws, 2 inches long
- Power drill with screwdriver bits
Sand all faces of your lumber. It doesn't have to be polished smooth, but you want to avoid splinters and snags for both people and your mattress.
Lay two beams on their 2-inch wide faces. The beams should be parallel, with ends aligned and their outside edges 75 inches apart. Lay the third beam at the center point between the first two beams, also parallel to and aligned with the other beams.
Set the plywood sheet on top of the beams. Its 54-inch edges should align with the outside edges of the outside beams. Its 75-inch edges should align with the ends of all three beams.
Screw the plywood in place with three wood screws spaced evenly along each beam. Aim for the midline of each beam as you drive the screw through the plywood.
Apply a coat of paint to the visible surfaces of the platform. Allow paint to dry according to the package instructions.
Tips & Warnings
- These plans are for a full-size platform bed. If you want a larger or smaller bed, adjust the dimensions of the plywood and the length of the beams.
- Always wear safety glasses when using your drill. Read and understand the safety instructions that came with your drill. Always use paint in a well-ventilated area.
- Gene Brick, Furniture Hobbyist, Hillsboro, OR
- "Step-by-Step Basic Carpentry"; Ben Allen; 1997
- BetterSleep.org: Mattress Sizes
- Photo Credit bed image by Leonid Nyshko from Fotolia.com
DIY Bed Frame
Bed frames are available at almost every home design shop, but often they are one of the most expensive things you can...
DIY Platform Bed Designs With 2 X 4s
Japanese tatami mat sleeping platforms inspired modern platform bed design. Thick, reed mats form a base on which a thin futon mattress...
DIY: How to Make a Platform Bed With Plywood
Build a platform bed using plywood and decorate it to match your bedroom decor. Not counting the time it would take to...
How to Make an Easy 2x6 Platform Bed
The sleek form of a platform bed fulfills both form and function in the contemporary bedroom. The simple shape allows the frugal...
Building Plans for Platform Beds
Platform beds are economical, space saving and are adaptable for just about any sleeping arrangement. Building plans for platform beds can be...
DIY Twin Bed Plans
Twin-size bed mattresses measure 39 x 75 inches (99 x 190 cm). Not only are they compact, but you can use them...