Sometimes boards that make up a tabletop separate because of shrinkage. When this happens cracks develop as the boards draw apart. If the cracks are not too wide, they can be fixed rather simply. If the cracks are very wide, it will be necessary to make a spline to fill the area. Here's some instructions for repairing a simple crack in a wooden tabletop.
Things You'll Need
- Cracked tabletop
- Wood glue
- Syringe-type glue injector
- Thin blade
- Wood clamps
- Glue remover
Clean the crack thoroughly using a thin blade to remove any build up of grime or dirt that may have accumulated.
Force wood glue into the crack using a syringe-type glue injector.
Attach clamps perpendicular to the break on both sides of the table and tighten the clamps until the crack in the tabletop is drawn closed.
Allow the glue to dry completely before removing the clamps.
Remove any excess glue that may have seeped onto the tabletop through the newly closed wood seam with glue remover. Be very careful not to allow any glue remover to get into the newly repaired area of the table.
Tips & Warnings
- If the tabletop is round or oval, you'll need to use a caul clamp to hold the sides together.
- Polish your wooden furniture weekly to protect the wood from damage and to keep it from becoming dry.
- Never use furniture polish that contains alcohol, silicone or ammonia. These products can damage a wooden surface.
- Serious damage can occur to your wooden tabletop if it's exposed to direct sunlight. Make sure to position tables to avoid the hot drying rays of the sun.
How to Repair Wood Furniture
Wood furniture is beautiful and usually very durable. Any repairs that need to be made are usually quite simple. Broken frames, backs,...
How to Make Your Own Wooden Table
Learn how to build a beautiful, farmhouse style table that is lightweight and portable for all of your entertaining needs.
How to Fix a Crack in a Wood Shelf
Cracks are an unfortunate fact when dealing with wood products. Although not as common with newer furniture as the older, cracks are...
How to Fix Splits in a Wood Table
Wood is forgiving, but it has its limits. Tables that have been exposed to the elements without protection, indoor tables that have...
How to Repair Cracks in Furniture
Wood furniture pieces are acknowledged for their durability, functionality and practicality. They are available in many designs and finishes to accommodate individual...