Black mold is a common household problem that grows in damp and humid locations that are void of sunlight. Not only is black mold a musty smelling eyesore, it can cause serious health problems in those who come in contact with it and its spores. There are a few chemicals that can successfully remove black mold from your home. Before using these chemicals, familiarize yourself with the directions and warnings printed on the labels.
Bleach is a common household item that has been used for years to brighten whites and disinfect. Bleach can effectively remove black mold from a variety of surfaces such as walls, flooring and wood. When using bleach, always work in a well-ventilated area, and wear protective gloves and eyewear. Bleach is an irritant that can cause redness and pain to your skin. To remove black mold with bleach, first wipe the mold off the item with a damp cloth. Fill a 5-gallon bucket with 1 gallon of warm water and 1 to 2 cups of bleach. If the black mold is growing on wood, use a scrub brush to scrub the mixture into the wood. For walls and flooring, use a sponge saturated in the mixture, and scrub the surface. Allow the bleach mixture to sit on the item for 10 minutes. After the allotted time has passed, wipe the surface with a clean, damp cloth, and allow the item to air-dry.
Video of the Day
Trisodium phosphate, also called TSP, is a tough cleaning agent available at home improvement stores. It is used to remove grease, stains, soap scum, and black mold from a variety of surfaces both inside and outside the home. Always use TSP in a well-ventilated area with safety goggles and rubber gloves. TSP must be diluted with a ratio of 1 tsp. per gallon of water. Use a soft-bristled scrub brush or sponge saturated with the mixture to scrub the item. After you have thoroughly cleaned the area and removed all traces of black mold, rinse the item with a clean damp cloth, and allow to dry. One teaspoon of TSP can also be added to 1 gallon of water and 1 cup of bleach for a stronger mold killer.
Borax is a made from mineral sodium borate, and is a common cleaning agent and laundry detergent. Borax does not contain harsh, toxic chemicals, and is safer for removing black mold than bleach or TSP. You can find borax in either the laundry detergent or cleaning section of department or grocery stores. For washable items with black mold growth, add 1/2 cup of borax--along with the appropriate amount of laundry detergent--to the washing machine. For other areas--such as tiles, walls, and hard surfaces--mix 1/2 cup of borax with 1 gallon of water. Use a nylon scrubbing pad to scrub the mixture into the black mold. Wipe the surface clean with a damp rag. Fill a spray bottle with the mixture and mist the area liberally. Allow the mixture to dry on the surface.