Mold is a fungus that thrives in moist or humid conditions. It can be found in areas of the home that remain damp, such as the bathroom, kitchen or basement. Mold can be damaging to the surface it grows on, discoloring or corroding it. It can also affect people with allergies and can cause a fatal lung infection if breathed in. Home remedies can help get rid of mold effectively.
Use a solution of one part chlorine bleach to one part water to clean carpeting and upholstery that has been affected by mold. Soak a sponge or cloth in the solution and swipe it across the mold to trap the spores in the cloth.
Video of the Day
Clean mold on hard surfaces using a solution of equal parts vinegar and water. Fill a plastic spray bottle with the solution. Spray surfaces in the kitchen and bathroom with the solution and scrub the area with a hard brush.
Sprinkle baking soda over moldy carpet to absorb the mold and freshen the air. Leave it on the carpet for as little as 20 minutes or overnight. Use a vacuum cleaner with an empty bag for maximum efficiency to vacuum up the baking soda.
For stubborn mold in hard-to-reach places, like the grout of tiles, use full-strength hydrogen peroxide. Simply apply several capfuls to the affected area, allow it to sit for 15 minutes and scrub with an old toothbrush.
Use a solution of 1 cup of borax powder to 1 cup of water to mop floors. Allow to dry, without rinsing, to prevent mold from recurring.
Grapefruit Seed Extract
A combination of 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract to 1 cup of water makes an efficient mold-killing spray. Simply squirt the solution on moldy surfaces while wiping with a soft cloth to remove mold and prevent it from coming back.
Homemade Disinfectant Spray
Once all of the mold has been cleaned, use a disinfectant spray to purify the area. In a plastic spray bottle, combine 2 cups of strongly brewed green tea and the juice of two lemons. The solution is safe enough to spray into the air and does not harm surfaces that it comes into contact with. Store the spray bottle in the refrigerator and use within a few days.