The Effects of Breathing Mold Spores

Save

Mold growth is common in many areas, requiring only moisture and an organic surface to grow on to survive. Because of this, damp conditions in your home ranging from condensation on your windows, leaks, damp spaces such as basements and more can be ideal places for mold to grow. Anyone with mold in the home must be aware of the effect of breathing mold spores and the symptoms of mold exposure. For many people, mold growth does not cause symptoms, but anyone with allergies or asthma and anyone who is exposed to mold for long periods is at risk for adverse effects.

Video of the Day

Allergy Symptoms

The effects of breathing mold spores are often similar to other allergy symptoms. These include sneezing, coughing, runny nose, congestion, itchy or red eyes, sinus issues and difficulty breathing. These symptoms are most common in people who already have allergies or asthma. Most people will not suffer serious effects from mold exposure, but even so, especially if mold is behind a wall or under a surface, it must be removed very carefully. Mold spores can get projected into the air if they are disturbed, and this results in much higher exposure levels.

Other Symptoms

Symptoms of mold exposure can also include skin problems and headaches. If a person is exposed to a large amount of mold, he may experience symptoms such as nausea, fatigue and respiratory tract irritation. If a person has an immune disorder or a lung disease, she is at high risk for infections caused by mold. Anyone with allergies, asthma, immune disorders or lung disease should not attempt to remove or clean up mold.

Toxic Mold Symptoms

Although most molds can cause some health problems, many do not harm healthy people if the exposure is moderate. However, black mold or toxic mold is a serious concern. This kind of mold is much harder to get rid of to the point that a home infested with it often has to be destroyed. Mold samples must be tested to know whether black mold is the issue. Symptoms of exposure include coughing blood, bloody nose, dizziness, nausea and anemia. If left unchecked or if a child or allergy sufferer is exposed to black mold, the effects can even include death.

References

Promoted By Zergnet
M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!