Things You'll Need
Shovel or hatchet
The termite queen is the god and mother of the termite colony. Without her, the rest of the colony gradually dies out. You can exterminate termites without finding the queen specifically. By specifically destroying the queen however, you guarantee destruction of the colony. It's an interesting adventure seeking out such an odd creature. Some cultures even prize the termite queen as food, if you're looking for an exotic snack.
Video of the Day
Don sturdy clothing. Cover up as much skin as possible. As you seek out the queen, hundreds of termites are going to try to stop you, and you'll probably be bitten.
Locate the nest. Look for worker termites, they will guide you to their home.
If the nest is in the timber of a building, do not continue. Attempting to find the queen in a structure will cause expensive damage to the building, and most likely, the queen will flee to an unreachable corner. Call a professional.
If the nest in the ground, dig. If the nest is located in a tree or stump, hack away to the center of the wood. Work fast, because the termites will attempt to move their queen right away. The nest may also be several feet underground, so prepare for some heavy digging.
Look for a slow-moving termite with an giant, white abdomen. That's the queen. Pick her up. Enjoy your victory over the termite kingdom.
It's far easier and less risky to call a professional.
Termites will swarm and bite.
Consult an expert before eating a termite
- "The Complete Burke's Backyard: The Ultimate Book of Fact Sheets"; Don Burke; 2005
- "Termites and Borers: A Homeowner's Guide"; Phillip Hadlington and Christine Marsden; 1999
- "Practical Zoology: Vol. 3"; Dr. S.S. Lal; 2009
- "Forest Entomology in East Africa: Forest Insects of Tanzania"; Hans G. Schabel; 2006
- "Subterranean Termites - USA"; Termites.com; Fumparest Group; May 2011