Fake blood is an important component for any gory Halloween costume. Several different application techniques can be used to make the fake blood on your shirt look realistic.
Things You'll Need
Latex or rubber gloves
Newspaper or plastic covering
Piece of cardboard as wide and tall as the white shirt
Fake blood (store-bought or make your own)
Toothbrush, small paint brush, sponge and/or tissue
You can use fabric paint as a substitute for fake blood.
Cover the work surface with newspaper or plastic to protect it.
- Wear latex or rubber gloves as you work to avoid staining your hands.
- Work outdoors if possible, as some application techniques can be messy and stain the surrounding areas.
Place the cardboard inside the white shirt to prevent the fake blood from soaking through to the other side.
Use one or more of these methods to apply fake blood to the shirt:
- Dripping: Dip a small paintbrush into the fake blood, applying a generous amount. Hold the paintbrush over the shirt, allowing the fake blood to drip on it in random spots.
- Splattering: Dip a toothbrush into the fake blood. Hold the toothbrush in your hand and use a flinging motion, flicking your wrist. You also can create a thinner splattering effect by dipping the edge of a paintbrush into a small amount of fake blood, then holding the paintbrush over the shirt as you use your index finger to quickly rub the edge of the bristles.
- Smearing: Use your finger to smear a small amount of fake blood onto a tissue. Press the tissue onto the shirt, smearing the blood back and forth.
- Dabbing: Dip a sponge into the fake blood. Dab the sponge onto the shirt.
Continue applying fake blood using one or more of these methods until you are happy with the results.
Test the application methods on scrap fabric before applying them to the white shirt.
Allow the shirt to dry for several hours.
Hold a hairdryer set to medium heat over the shirt to speed up the drying process if desired.
Flip the shirt over to the other side, then repeat step 3 to apply fake blood to that side.
Allow the other side of the shirt to dry. Once dry, remove the cardboard from inside the shirt.