Mildew is a type of mold that can appear in basements and bathrooms where conditions are moist, humid and dark. If the mildew isn’t removed, it can develop a musty odor that can trigger allergies. A few common household items can be used to kill the smell of mildew on walls and floors. Rubber gloves must be worn when handling some of these cleaners to prevent skin irritations. Rooms also need to be properly ventilated by opening windows and doors so that any fumes can escape.
Things You'll Need
- Rubber gloves
- Chloride of Lime
- ½ cup chlorine bleach
- Clean rag
- Disinfectant spray
Video of the Day
Sprinkle chloride of lime over the floor. Chloride of lime can be purchased from most home and hardware stores. Allow the powder to remain until the musty smell has disappeared.
Sweep up the chloride of lime using a broom.
Reapply the chloride of lime until the mildew smell is completely removed.
Cement and Tile
Add ½ cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water in a bucket.
Scrub tiled walls, bathroom floors and cement floors using a brush and the chlorine bleach solution.
Rinse the cement, tile and walls with clean water and towel dry.
Keep windows open until walls and floors are completely dry to allow the room to properly ventilate.