How to Disinfect a Wooden Cutting Board in a Microwave Oven

When you prepare a variety of foods on a cutting board, bacteria and odor get left behind regularly, leaving you in need of a cleaning and disinfection method that will get rid of all the germs and foul smells without causing damage to the cutting board itself. If you have a wooden cutting board that is sized to comfortably fit inside your microwave oven, disinfection becomes a quick and easy task to complete.

Things You'll Need

  • Water

  • White vinegar

  • Large microwave-safe plate

Step 1

Fill your sink with an equal combination of hot water and white vinegar, using enough liquid to submerge the cutting board.

Step 2

Place your wooden cutting board in the vinegar and water mixture, and let it sit for one minute. This allows the liquid to absorb into the board.

Step 3

Place the cutting board on a large microwave-safe plate and put both in the microwave.

Step 4

Turn on the microwave for one minute at high heat. The steam from the water and vinegar will naturally deep-clean and disinfect the wood, while soaking it in the solution beforehand prevents heat damage.

Step 5

Allow the cutting board to cool for two to three minutes and remove it from the microwave.

References & Resources