How to Clean a Room Power Strip

A power strip can serve several functions within a room—it not only increases the number of electrical sockets, but can also protect electronics from normal power surges that can happen through electrical lines and/or lightning strikes, when designed with surge technology. Since the socket slots on a power strip must maintain a solid connection with the plug prongs plugged into the strip, it is extremely important to dust a room power strip at least once a week and clean up immediately any debris or liquid spills.

Things You'll Need

  • Vacuum

  • Garbage can

  • Canned air

  • Lint-free microfiber cloths

  • Melamine resin foam eraser

  • Nonabrasive scrubbing pad (optional)

  • Soft-bristled toothbrush (optional)

  • New room power strip (optional)

  • Hair dryer (optional)

Step 1

Turn off your room power strip, unplug the strip from the electrical source and then unplug all of your electronics from it.

Step 2

Vacuum dust from the power strip with a soft brush attachment and then hold the power strip over a garbage can and spray the entire strip—especially the interior of any exposed unused sockets—with canned air to dislodge any dust or other debris. Repeat and shake the strip until no more debris falls from it into the garbage.

Step 3

Wipe the surfaces of the strip's housing with a slightly damp, lint-free microfiber cloth—damp cloth with no excess water that can drip or squeeze from the cloth onto your power strip. Remove any tough stains or smudges on the strip's housing with a damp melamine resin foam eraser, soft-bristled toothbrush or nonabrasive scrubbing pad.

Step 4

Dry the strip's housing thoroughly with a clean cloth and then plug in your electronics before plugging the strip back into the main electrical socket.

Tip

If you accidentally spill food or liquid on a power strip, switch off the electricity flowing into the room by flipping the room’s circuit switch in the building’s breaker box. Unplug the strip immediately from its electrical source and unplug all appliances from the strip. Clean the power strip or purchase a new one. If dealing with dry food, repeat Step 2 through Step 4. If dealing with sticky or moist foods on the strip’s housing, wipe up the spill with a damp cloth and dry thoroughly before plugging back in. If the spill has entered a socket or you’re dealing with liquid, replace the power strip with a new strip.

Warning

Always use socket protectors for any unused sockets on your power strip to keep the interior of the sockets clean of dust and other debris. In addition, socket protectors protect unused sockets from damage that can occur if accidentally exposed to spills and help protect children from accidental electrocution. Always position your room power strip in an area not normally exposed to food, liquid or other substances that can damage the power strip. If possible, wall mount the strip to help reduce accidental damage. Never use liquid or aerosol cleaners on your power strip to remove stains as liquid and aerosol cleaners pose a potential fire hazard. Any moisture in the sockets or under the housing can result in electric arcs or other electric conductivity issues that can not only damage the strip, but also any electronics plugged into it.

references