How to Get Rid of White Mold on Walls

Save

Mold is an unsightly fungus that grows on damp surfaces. Mold has a fur-like texture and can be green, black or white in color. The basement is the most common place where mold is found because they are often damp and lack fresh air. These spores can be easily inhaled and pose serious health problems if the source is not taken care of immediately.

Things You'll Need

  • Mask
  • Humidifier
  • Bleach
  • Scrub brush
  • Bucket
  • Water
  • Rubber gloves
  • Detergent
  • Clean rags
  • Sponges

Video of the Day

Wearing mask and rubber gloves, mix 1 cup of bleach with 1 gallon of water. You will only need 1 cup to the gallon. The water doesn't require a certain temperature but you will need to use a large bucket. You should seal off the rest of your home from the infected area and open one or more windows for ventilation.

Apply water and bleach solution to the area and wash with rag. The bleach will kill any bacteria near the area and ensure that all of the mold is gone. Be sure that your mask is secured over your nose and mouth to keep from inhaling the bleach chemicals.

Scrub area with brush. This will ensure that the location has been washed down and scrubbed thoroughly to avoid the presence of mold.

Wash area with detergent. This will help to get rid of any bacteria still left and prevent the mold from growing again. Dry the area with clean dry rags. This will help to dry the surface completely and reduce the chance of dampness.

After you are done cleaning the area, put sponge and rags into a plastic bag and dispose of outside the home.The smell of bleach and detergent can be very strong and you don't want anyone to inhale the chemicals. Dispose of the mask and gloves.

Dry out your home with a humidifier. Since mold develops in damp places, you want to make sure that there are no moist areas in the walls and corners of your house. You can find a humidifier at any retail store.

Tips & Warnings

  • Make sure there is no water leakage inside your home where mold has the potential to grow.
  • Clean and vacuum frequently to remove any mold spores.
  • Keep children away from mold.
  • Do not touch any surface where mold is detected.

References

Promoted By Zergnet

You May Also Like

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!