How to Kill Airborne Mold

Save

Airborne mold spores are invisible to the eye, and they can easily flow through different areas of the home, especially heating and cooling system ducts. Since you can’t see the airborne mold spores, it can prove difficult to detect. However, hardware stores sell mold testing kits that can detect the presence of airborne mold. If the test is positive, you will want to kill the airborne mold.

Fix any leaks that you may have in your home. You can kill airborne mold by eliminating the damp conditions that the mold thrives in.

Remove any water damaged items from your home. If you want to get rid of airborne mold, you need to find the source of the spores. Clean or throw out any musty furniture, bedding, cardboard, papers, and carpet that you have within your home.

Drain the pan underneath your refrigerator. Drain pans that become clogged in a fridge can often cause airborne mold. Getting rid of this liquid will often help resolve the airborne mold problem.

Install UV lights to shine directly on the coils and pans of your heating and cooling system. The UV light will kill the airborne mold spores and prevent regeneration.

Purchase an air purifier for your home. An ionic or ozone air purifier has the ability to kill airborne mold spores. The negative ions and ozone inactivate the mold spores that live in the air and make the mold harmless to human health.

Test the air of your home again with a mold testing kit. To ensure that you have effectively killed the airborne mold, retest the area that had mold present.

Tips & Warnings

  • It is important to get rid of airborne mold if you suspect you have it in your home. Mold spores can cause a range of allergy symptoms--including coughing, wheezing, itching, and watery eyes.

References

Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

You May Also Like

Check It Out

22 DIY Ways to Update Your Home on a Small Budget

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!