Roasted peanuts are available at most grocery stores but are usually heavily salted or have added preservatives. You can make your own roasted peanuts at home with a few easy steps. If you buy raw peanuts in the shell, the skins will still be on the peanuts. Otherwise, look for unblanched peanuts at the grocery store, which will guarantee the skin is still on the peanuts. Nuts have a number of health benefits, including containing niacin, antioxidants and protein.
Things You'll Need
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Salt, if desired
Shell the peanuts if necessary and throw out any rotten peanuts.
Spread the peanuts out on a large baking sheet in a single layer. Don't roast more than 2 cups of peanuts at a time to ensure that each nut is fully roasted.
Roast the nuts for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Stir the nuts around on the pan at the end of the 10 minutes and continue roasting for 10 more minutes. Stir once more, roast for 5 more minutes and remove the nuts from the oven.
Cool the peanuts before transferring them to storage containers.
Tips & Warnings
- Add salt to the peanuts before removing them from the oven, if desired.
- "Nuts: Recipes from Around the World That Feature Nature's Perfect Ingredient"; Linda Griffith and Fred Griffith; 2008
- "Barefoot Contessa -- How Easy Is That?: Fabulous Recipes & Easy Tips (Fabulous Recipes and Easy Tips)"; Ina Garten; 2010
- "Reasons to Roast: More Than 100 Simple and Intensely Flavorful Recipes"; Georgia Chan Downard and Evie Righter; 1997
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images