Give old tires new life by using them creatively in your garden. Whether you want to surprise your kids with a tire swing or make a decorative flower planter, old tires have several uses that will help spruce up your landscape.
Things You'll Need
- Thick rope
- Spray paint
- Flower seeds
- Knife with large blade or saw
Spray-paint the tires a solid color or in a colorful design; allow the paint to dry. Bright colors will liven up your garden.
Place your painted tires in a good spot for growing flowers and fill them with soil.
Plant your favorite flower seeds in the soil. Water and tend to your flowers regularly.
Paint the tire with your child so they feel involved in the process.
Find the perfect spot for the sandbox. A shady area is best so your child doesn't sit in direct sunlight while they play.
Fill the tire with sandbox sand.
Classic Tire Swing
Drill holes in the bottom side of the tire (the part that will face the ground), so rainwater will drain out.
Securely tie a very thick rope around the top of the tire.
Tie the other side of the rope to a thick and sturdy branch of a large, old tree. Make sure you leave enough rope so the tire is only 1 to 2 feet from the ground.
Test the tire swing to see whether it supports your weight to ensure it is safe for a child.
Border for a Flower Bed
Slice the old tires in half.
Dig holes a few inches deep, enough to hold the tires securely.
Place the cut side of the tires into the holes so you have the illusion that there are half-buried tires in the ground.
Tips & Warnings
- Clean the old tires before using them to get rid of any grease and grime.
- Food safety information about growing food in tires suggest that it's not safe to plant anything you're planning on eating in a tire planter because it is possible the food can absorb harmful chemicals. Growing trees or large plants in tires also is not advised because the size of the tire may restrict the growth of the plant. Stick to smaller plants, such as flowers or decorative greenery.
- Photo Credit DrBacchus, http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbowen/2784141264/
- How to Make Sandals with an Old Tire
How to Use Old Tires
Old tires aren't just for swings anymore, as you see them popping up all over as planters, boarders and vegetable beds. Old...
How to Make a House With Old Tires
A house made out of old tires is economical, both in its building and in the energy efficiency of the home. Additionally,...
- How to Make Flower Pots From Tires
How to Paint a Rubber Tire
Upcycling old rubber tires is a great way to keep them out of landfills. And they're easy to paint with bright colors...
How to Use Old Tires for Decorating
Recycling is good for our planet, and your pocketbook, so next time you change your tires, don't dispose of them...re-purpose them. There...
DIY Backyard Playground Equipment
The list of ideas for DIY playground equipment is almost limitless, so base your choices on cost, the size and layout of...