Making your own dipped pine cones that are scented with your favorite fragrance is an excellent way to decorate your home for the fall or the upcoming holiday season.
This is a very inexpensive way to make a centerpiece for your table or a grouping for your fireplace mantel that will make your whole house smell wonderful!
Things You'll Need
- Pine Cones
- Paraffin Wax
- Fragrance Oil
- Gold or Silver Paint (optional)
- Wax paper
- Metal or plastic container
Prepare your work space with 2 sheets of wax paper. Paint pine cones with silver or gold paint if desired and allow to dry. Once they are dry, they are ready to dip.
Heat paraffin in a double boiler or in the microwave at 50% power. Heat until completely melted, stirring with a spoon frequently. Once melted, remove from heat.
Add your fragrance oil at this time. Use 1/2 ounce of fragrance oil to 1 pound of paraffin. Stir until the mixture is blended completely. Allow to cool approximately 5 minutes before dipping the pine cones.
Hold the pine cone by the base and dip it into the paraffin mixture. Roll it around to make sure it is well coated in paraffin. Remove the pine cone. Hold it over the paraffin mixture until it has stopped dripping. Place the pine cone on waxed paper to dry. Sprinkle with glitter at this time if it is desired.
Tips & Warnings
- Place pine cones in zip lock bags sealed to store them until you are ready to use them. This keeps the fragrance strong and fresh smelling.
- Fragrance oils can be purchased at soap suppliers and at most hobby stores.
- Perfumes can be substituted for fragrance oils if desired.
- Essential oils can be substituted for fragrance oils if desired.
- Store unused paraffin in a coffee container or disposable plastic container with a lid to use for dipping later.
- Use precautions such as a kitchen utensil to remove the pine cones from the paraffin.
- Photo Credit Image courtesy of stockxpert.com
How to Scent Pinecones for Christmas
Scenting pinecones is a festive way to bring the scents of Christmas into your home. Pinecones make great fire starters. Before you...
Homemade Pine Cone Potpourri
Potpourri is both decorative and fragrant and can be used in any room in your home. Ready-made potpourri can be purchased at...
How to Make Cinnamon-Scented Pinecones
Cinnamon-scented pine cones can be purchased at craft stores for around $10, but you can make them at home for just a...
What Is a Pine Cone?
Pine cones are the reproductive organs of pine trees. The cones are either male or female. Most pine tree species have both...