Is Leucophyllum Frutescens Poisonous to Dogs?

eHow may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story. Learn more about our affiliate and product review process here.
Keep your dog healthy by avoiding toxic plants.
Image Credit: Ryan McVay/Photodisc/Getty Images

Commonly called barometer bush or Texas sage, Leucophyllum frutescens has green or silver leaves and seasonal blooms, most commonly shaded purple. A native to the Chihuahuan Desert and northern Mexico, barometer bush thrives in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 8 to 10. It is valued for its hardiness and drought-readiness, and often used in xeriscaping. Barometer bush is not typically toxic to dogs, but can shelter allergens and other poisonous animals or matter.


Lush and Resilient

The barometer bush was named such because its blossoms pop when it rains. It is a broadleaf evergreen that grows 5 to 8 feet tall and 4 to 6 feet wide in best conditions. The barometer bush thrives in full sun with little maintenance and is extremely tolerant of dry soil. It needs little extra water once established and shouldn't be fertilized. It can be used as a hedge plant or container plant.


Video of the Day

Dog Friendly

Barometer bush is non-toxic to dogs, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Its leaves, branches, flowers and roots are all safe. Along with dogs, barometer bush is not poisonous to cats or horses.


Hidden Dangers

Barometer bush does have lush leaves and petals that allow dust to collect in them. It's common for congestion to develop when encountering the bushes because of allergens that may be clustered inside. This dust can affect animals, as can any toxic fertilizers or treatments applied to the plants, so opt for organic and pet-friendly products. Barometer bush can also allow snakes, spiders, scorpions, insects or toads that can poison dogs to hide within its leaves.


Dog Safety Care

If you suspect your dog has encountered poisonous material, collect any possible material, plant matter or insects you suspect may be involved and take it with your dog to your veterinarian. If you're unsure, don't hesitate to call your vet -- animals may sometimes appear normal for hours or even days after consuming something toxic.



Report an Issue

screenshot of the current page

Screenshot loading...