Mold can appear in a variety of colors, including black, yellow, and green. However, the first sign that your home is infested with mold might be physical. Mold can cause allergy-like symptoms and respiratory problems. Due to these health risks, and the damage that mold can do to the items in your home, you should remove mold from your home as soon as possible.
Things You'll Need
- Rubber gloves
- Safety goggles
- N-95 respirator mask
- Soap or detergent that does not contain ammonia
- Stiff brush
- Chlorine bleach
Video of the Day
Put on rubber gloves, goggles and an N-95 respirator mask. These items will help protect you from overexposure to mold as you work to remove the mold from your house.
Mix hot water and ammonia-free soap or detergent in a bucket.
Scrub moldy hard surfaces with the soapy water, using a stiff brush. Clean off the excess with a mop or sponge.
Mix 1/2 cup of household chlorine bleach with 5 cups of water in a bucket.
Wipe down the area with the bleach mixture, using a towel.
Dispose of all porous materials, such as ceiling tiles, that contain mold. Once covered in mold, these materials can rarely be cleaned. Carpets may be an exception if you have them cleaned professionally.
Fix moisture problems. Mold requires moisture to grow. Thus, you can prevent future mold invasions by taking care of moisture problems. Fix all roof and plumbing leaks, clean up overflow from tubs, toilets and sinks, run a dehumidifier and exhaust fan, and increase the ventilation in your home.