How to Get Help Winterizing Your Home From the Government

eHow may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story. Learn more about our affiliate and product review process here.
Image Credit: Hemera Technologies/ Images

The Department of Energy helps low-income citizens and the elderly winterize their homes through government assistance programs. Specifically, the government will provide assistance with insulating homes by sealing the interior, including walls, floors, attics and air ducts. The program can help save those in need thousands of dollars in heating bills. The federal government supplies funding to the states through a program known as the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Getting help winterizing your home requires communication with a state agency.


Step 1

Determine if you meet eligibility requirements to receive government aid for winterization. Each state has its own requirements; however, there are some general guidelines that most states incorporate. Specifically, if you receive Supplemental Security Income or Aid to Families with Dependent Children, both federal assistance programs, then you are automatically eligible. In addition, if you are older than 60, live with a family member who is disabled or reside with children, then you have a high likelihood of eligibility.


Video of the Day

Step 2

Figure out your annual income. The easiest way to do this is to reference your most recent annual income tax statement. Depending on your state of residence, there are different eligibility requirements that pertain to income. Reference the Department of Energy Poverty Income Guidelines to see if your income meets the eligibility threshold.


Step 3

Call your local agency. You can find a listing of all agencies across the country and contact information at the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program home page. The agency can offer you further details regarding services and eligibility requirements.

Step 4

Go to your local agency. All contact information for local agencies is located on the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program website.


Step 5

Get permission from your landlord if you rent your home.

Step 6

Fill out an application form. Applications can take about 20 minutes to fill out.


You will most likely be put on a waiting list for assistance if the agency determines you to be eligible. If you are selected to receive assistance, workers wills spend up to $6,500 winterizing your home on average. The work will take about one to two days.


references & resources

Report an Issue

screenshot of the current page

Screenshot loading...