Sodium carbonate, or washing soda, is a natural disinfectant. Use it to clean a variety of surfaces, from kitchen counters to toilet bowls. Although it should not be consumed in great amounts, washing soda is a common ingredient in many foods, serving as a neutralizer and thickener. Washing soda is a green alternative to toxic cleaners. When mold is a problem in your home, keep a simple sodium carbonate mixture on hand to remove mold and to wash down surfaces to prevent it.
Things You'll Need
Mix a solution of 10 parts warm water and one part sodium carbonate
Add one part detergent, which will help the solution cut through grease and grime, and one part lemon juice, which will act as a bacteria killer.
Wet your sponge in the solution and wipe down the moldy surface.
Double the amount of sodium carbonate, detergent and lemon juice if the mold proves difficult to remove.
Keep your solution in a spray bottle.
Sodium carbonate is non-toxic when diluted in its cleaning mixture. However, it can cause undesired symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea or worse if ingested in its undiluted form.