Mold is an essential part of life; it is one of the main ways in which dead matter in our environment is broken down. However, mold also makes its way inside our homes and can make us very sick. Mold has been linked to many illnesses such as asthma and other respiratory problems. Mold can be visible at times, but it can also hide in places that we will never know about. It is important to learn about the different kinds of molds so that we know what to watch for before it becomes too big of a problem.
Video of the Day
Black mold has the look of dark green to black slime. It is often found in places where there is moisture (such as in bathrooms and basements) and wood (such as wood-paneled walls). Black mold will grow inside walls on the drywall and wood studs, especially in areas where there are water pipes. There is an increased possibility of mold growth if there is ever a leak and it is not detected fast enough and cleaned up.
Aspergillus Penicillium is a more common known allergenic mold because it becomes airborne and is easily carried by currents. Unlike the black mold that thrives in moist areas, aspergillus penicillium thrives in areas that are dusty, such as in the ventilation system in your home. Although this mold thrives on dust, its effects are worsened in cold air more than warm air; so especially for air conditioners, it is crucial that you have the unit serviced at least once a year to check for all signs of mold that might be growing inside of it. Aspergillus Penicillium is hard to detect since it is not always visible. But when you turn on your air conditioner, the mold is then blown into the air and you breath it in that way.
Cladosporium mold is what you see when your cheese has gone bad or moldy. It has a greenish and soft fuzzy appearance. This type of mold begins to grow due to the effect of things that are naturally decaying such as dead plants, organic foods, and old paint and varnishes.
Stachybotys mold, also known as toxic black mold, is black mold that has grown into large colonies and is rotting away the surface that it is on. Toxic black mold is deadly and has also been linked to cancer, severe respiratory diseases, migraines, fatigue, and failing immune systems. Toxic Black Mold almost always has to be taken care of by professionals.
When mold is noticed anywhere in the home it is important to have it cleaned up immediately.