How to Give Stock Options to a Charity

Next Video:
How to Exercise Stock Options....5

In order to give stock options to a charity, call a stockbroker, and fill out a form for gifting stock options. Learn about possible fees that may be associated with a stock transfer with help from a personal asset manager in this free video on investing in the stock market and money management.

Part of the Video Series: Stock Market
Promoted By Zergnet


Video Transcript

Hi, I'm Roger Groh with Groh Asset Management. Are you in 2008 or maybe looking forward to 2009, trying to take losses in your stock or stock option portfolios? Well within the stock option part, one way to do that is to gift stock options that you already own to another person or to a charity. Today's talk is a little bit about how to do that. It's pretty simple. You call up the stockbroker where you do business or a stockbroker where you would like to do business and you say to them I'd like to gift stock options. They then will have a form that you fill out and in essence I, John Doe want to gift these stock options to Mary Jane, whoever it might be, and the, you file that letter, it's notarized, you file that letter, there may be some fees associated with that transfer and then the options end up in an account at the brokerage firm where the end person wants to do business. You may have to file at that firm in lieu of the firm where you do business. Big difference there. In any case, you write a letter saying I want to gift the options to somebody or to a charity and you give it to the broker of in this case the charity and they'll take care of it for you. There may be some fees, watch out, there may also be tax consequences negative or positive from that gifting. So I'm Roger Groh and thank you very much for spending a little bit of time with me on how to give stock options to a charity.


Related Searches

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!