Cough syrup, with it's distinct, mouth-puckering taste, is not something most people look forward to. Rather than grimace every time you have to medicate yourself, or engage in a battle of wills with your child who hates the taste of cough syrup, you can make it taste better. From a simple change in temperature to the addition of a flavoring, it's possible for you to make cough syrup a bit more palatable.
Things You'll Need
Ask your pharmacist if he can add flavoring -- such as vanilla, bubblegum or apple -- to the cough syrup to improve its taste. Some pharmacies offer this service for both prescription and over-the-counter medications.
Refrigerate the cough syrup to make it cold, which can improve the taste. Ask a pharmacist if refrigerating the medication will alter its effectiveness.
Place the cough syrup in a syringe to administer it to your child or yourself. Place the opening of the syringe on the inside of the person's cheek and release a little bit of the medication at a time. Swallow and repeat. There are no taste buds on the cheeks, so the unpleasant taste will be diminished.
Tips & Warnings
- If your child is old enough, explain to him why he needs to take the cough syrup. Tell him it will make him stop coughing and help him rest.
- When using a syringe to administer medicine, make sure you throw away the small cap, so it won't pose a choking hazard to any children you may have in your home.
- Don't tell a child that the cough syrup -- or any medication -- is candy. This can cause the child to think she can have medication at any time, which could result in injury or death.
- Photo Credit BananaStock/BananaStock/Getty Images
Is it OK to Use Karo Syrup That Is Cloudy?
Karo syrup is a brand of corn syrup popular in the United States. Corn syrup is used primarily as a sweetening agent...
How to Cure a Cough
Coughs are usually one of two types--dry or wet. Depending on which type of cough you have depends on how you cure...
How to Make Cough Syrup Out of Whiskey
When you make cough syrup out of whiskey, using a brand you like makes the medicine go down easier. Take 1 to...
How to Make Wild Cherry Bark Cough Syrup
Cherry bark has been a key ingredient in herbal cough syrups since before British colonial rule. It was introduced to both colonists...
How to Make Liquid Iron Supplements Taste Better
Liquid iron supplements can be incorporated into your diet for a variety of reasons, such as a case of anemia or as...
Molasses Recipe for Coughs in Horses
When your horse is coughing, you can concoct a batch a homemade cough syrup using molasses and a few other common ingredients...
- How to Make a Policy and Procedure Manual for a Pharmacy
How Do I Mix Honey & Apple Cider Vinegar for Cough Medicine?
If you're looking for a homemade option to help get rid of a cough, the simple folk treatment of a honey and...