Many bows in early artistic renderings of stringed instruments appear to have followed a basic pattern. The stick had notches at each end. The ends were connected by a length of horsehair made taught and tied to each. Making a bow requires special skills, experience and specialized tools. Still, a homemade violin bow can be simply constructed using a stick of cane and some horsehair.
Things You'll Need
Turning a Stick into a Violin Bow
Measure a violin bow that you use or that has a good fit. Locate and cut a length of cane to the length of the bow that fits your reach or the size of your violin. If you do not have a bow measurement as a reference, simply cut the cane to 29.5 inches.
Remove any rough elements along the length of the cane. Smooth the cane with sandpaper and wipe off the dust with a damp cloth or paper towel.
Cut notches into each end of the cane. Take a few strands of horsehair and stretch them across both ends of the stick. Wrap and tie the ends of the hair through the notched tip. Pulling the loose hair toward the bottom end of the stick, wrap the hair through the notch and around the end and tie it.
Tips & Warnings
- Other materials such as silk or fine fishing line can be used in place of horsehair.
- Most professional bows are made of pernambuco, an exotic wood from Brazil. Cane is no match for the quality of pernambuco but has been used with good results.
- Bend the cane slowly and carefully when pulling and attaching the horsehair.
- "Violin-Making: As it was, and is." By Ed. Heron-Allen 1885
- "Making a Simple Violin and Viola" by Ronald Roberts 1975
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images
- "The Amadeus Book of the Violin: Construction" by Walter Kolneder 1998
How to Make a Guitar Sound Like a Violin
Many guitar players dream of the infinite sustain and warm sound of the violin, while still playing electric on their instrument of...
How to Measure String Length for a Long Bow
The ideal string length for a longbow is determined by the overall length of the bow. Choosing the proper string length is...
How to Make a Violin Shoulder Rest
Although some noted music schools such as Juilliard discourage the use of shoulder rests, most violinist prefer to have some sort of...
How to Make a Homemade Bow
Don't spend all that money on store-bought bows when it is easy to create your own homemade bows out of ribbon. Knowing...
Violin Performance Bows
There are several types of bows to take after a violin performance. Learn more about bows for after a violin performance with...