Candied walnut salad is perfect for fall and winter but acceptable to serve at any other time of the year. Sugary candied walnuts are accompanied by crisp lettuce, rich blue cheese, fresh apples, sweet dried cranberries, creamy dressing and other exciting flavors for a satisfying and delicious salad. You can take this side dish to a dinner party or get-together, or enjoy it as an entree when paired with warm bread and soup.
Things You'll Need
- 2 heads butter or Romaine lettuce
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 apples
- Orange juice (just enough to toss apples in)
- 2 ounces blue or Gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup salad dressing (vinaigrette, honey mustard, blue cheese or Asian-style dressing work well)
Wash and chop the lettuce, then set it aside to dry.
Combine the walnuts and sugar in a skillet over medium heat. Begin stirring constantly. The sugar will first become very fine, and then it will begin to liquefy after about 5 minutes. Keep stirring, and scrape the bottom of the skillet constantly to ensure that the sugar and walnuts mix.
Remove the walnuts from the heat when they reach a golden brown color. Stir occasionally as they cool.
Spread the walnuts on a greased cookie sheet or waxed paper and allow them to completely cool.
Finely chop blue or Gorgonzola cheese so that you have crumbles, not chunks.
Chop apples into small chunks and place the pieces into a bowl. Add orange juice and toss the apples in the juice.
Toss the lettuce, dried cranberries, candied walnuts, apples, onions, cheese and dressing in a large mixing bowl.
Tips & Warnings
- If you plan on eating only a small amount of salad at a time, do not toss it all with the dressing or the salad will become soggy and wilted when stored in the refrigerator. Instead, just top each individual serving with dressing right before eating.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
How to Grow English Walnuts From Seed
English Walnut trees grow fast and produce an abundant amount of nuts. These nuts are used for cooking, eating, baking and making...